In the first post of our SAT review video series, we approach working through a standard reading comprehension question.
The SAT reading comprehension section can often be a time crunch for many students. This video demonstrates a systematic approach to quickly reading and analyzing a passage in order to answer questions.
Key takeaways from this video:
- Always read the introduction blurb as it gives background information. Look for asterisks, footnotes, and details hidden within the passage.
- Briefly summarize what you’ve read after each naturally occurring section. This can assist you in answering the questions about the details of the passage quickly.
- Skim the descriptions, these are less important than main ideas or action statements.
- Look for reasons to eliminate answers and always read all the choices.
- For questions asking about the meaning of the word, first try to identify the meaning of the word within the passage before reading the answer choices.
About the Author
Jordan Salley is a senior ACT and SAT tutor for MyGuru. For more information on ACT and SAT prep, our unique approach, and our tutors, visit us here for ACT prep or here for SAT prep.
This video was produced by MyGuru's Director of Online Instruction and expert online SAT tutor Stefan Maisnier. Visit our YouTube channel for more SAT videos.