Private Online GRE Tutoring
Online GRE tutoring can be more affordable, more convenient, and as effective as in-person GRE tutoring.
Online GRE tutoring from MyGuru leverages materials and practice problems from the Official Guide to the GRE Revised General Test. We begin with a diagnostic initial session to identify key strengths and weaknesses, an overview of each section of the GRE, and the development of a detailed study plan and a customized lesson plan designed to build upon your strengths and address your weaknesses. Throughout the course of tutoring, we teach effective and proven test-taking strategies to help boost your score. Periodic official GRE practice tests are incorporated in the customized lesson plans to help track progress and to hone key GRE test-taking strategies.
Key Beliefs about Studying for the GRE
We believe that:
- class-based tutoring provide little new information that isn’t contained in self-study materials
- 1-on-1 tutoring provides a superior method of instruction, making possible continuous, targeted improvement
- the large well-branded test prep firms have made 1-on-1 test prep virtually unaffordable.
Whether you choose in-person or online GRE tutoring, customized instruction can help you build your skills far more rapidly than self-study or large group classes.
Online GRE Tutoring Increases Efficiency and Creates New Learning Options
Online tutoring is a form of tutoring that some students hesitate to engage in. While we of course understand this perspective, we ask students to take into consideration a few things about the online tutoring experience:
- With a good internet connection, the online experience can be similar to an in-person experience, in that you can "read and respond" to your tutor's verbal and non-verbal cues
- Writing on a virtual whiteboard can be very similar to writing on physical scratch paper
- Removing the requirement to travel to a physical location often saves both the student and the tutor time and money...
- ...and also tends to open up more scheduling options for both parties
- In some cases, online GRE tutoring sessions can be recorded, so the student can review lessons to reinforce the concept or approach
For these reasons, in our view, online tutoring is just as good as face-to-face tutoring. In fact, it might be better. To read more about our perspective on online tutoring click here.
Customized GRE Tutoring from an Expert Tutor
Our tutor team at MyGuru offers the highest caliber tutors at a lower price than many of the large tutoring companies. For example, consider Mary and Stefan, two of our most experienced GRE tutors:
- B.A. Psychology, Dartmouth
- J.D. Boston College Law School
- 95th percentile or better scores on the SAT, GRE, LSAT, and MCAT
- 5+ years of private academic tutoring experience covering: Mathematics through, Calculus, Statistics, Chemistry, Physics, English & Composition
- 5+ years of private test prep tutoring experience covering: SSAT, SAT I, SAT II, and GRE standardized exams (all sections)
- B.A. Communication - University of Southern California
- M.S. Journalism - Northwestern University
- Official test scores: ACT - 36 (perfect score), SAT – 99 th percentile
- Princeton Review administered test scores: GRE - 168, GMAT - 750, LSAT - 175 consistently over the past decade (95th - 99th percentile)
- 12+ years tutoring starting with The Princeton Review in 2004, then added one previous smaller company, and then more recently independent clients.
- Expert at all sections of standardized exams, including the most current version of the GRE
- Has his own proprietary schedules, worksheets, and online approach to delivering customized test prep solutions
- Previous experience as a journalist with ESPN
Our online GRE tutors will assess your starting point and help you develop a customized study plan to help you reach your target score on the GRE as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Our base rate for online GRE tutoring is $90, but we also offer 5, 10, or 15 hour packages which come with discounts of 5, 10, or 15%. That's a long term rate of $90 * 85% = $76.50 per hour, which is what we always charge for the first session. If you then choose to continue with a 15 hour package, that's a total cost of $76.50 * 15 hours = $1,147.50
Additional Resources To Help You Prepare for the GRE
To read about how our GRE tutors help people develop strategies for passing the GRE, click here. Check out our GRE blog for the latest student testimonials, GRE concept reviews and explanations, and advice on graduate school admissions. Example articles include: