Private Online GRE Tutoring
Online Tutoring is Affordable, Convenient, and as Effective as In-Person Tutoring.
Online GRE tutoring from MyGuru, like our GRE in-person tutoring, leverages the Official Guide to the GRE Revised General Test. However, we recommend the eBook version to build good habits for test day when a paper version of the test won't be available. We begin with a diagnostic session to help create a manageable study plan, develop a customized curriculum that builds upon each student's strengths and weaknesses, and outline a calendar of drills that incorporates official practice tests to track progress.
Our base rate for online GRE tutoring is $90, but we also offer 5, 10, or 15 hour packages which come with discounts of 5, 10, or 15%. That's a long term rate of $90 * 85% = $76.50 per hour, which is what we always charge for the first session. If you then choose to continue with a 15 hour package, that's a total cost of $76.50 * 15 hours = $1,147.50
How Studying Online for the GRE Works
We believe that group classes provide little more than what's found in self-study materials, that 1-on-1 tutoring provides a superior method of instruction, and that the large test prep firms have made 1-on-1 instruction virtually unaffordable. We also believe that our approach to online instruction provides a more instructive and intuitive experience than anything else in the online test prep market regardless of price. After each session our students get two texts to review - The Official Guide and a digital copy of that day's whiteboard filled with notes and tips specifically tailored for them to refer to forever.
- Students only need a free Gmail or Skype account to begin instructive videoconferencing where both tutor and student can react to verbal and non-verbal cues making each lesson feel like it's being conducted in person.
- All tactics and techniques are demonstrated by our expert tutors on a shared virtual whiteboard where students follow along with the instructor as a guest using nothing more than a laptop and an internet connection...
- ...but students can also sign up for their own personal whiteboard, so they can use a pen tablet to work on problems live with their instructor and access all past sessions to review any problem they've covered at any time.
- Most importantly, whether you choose your own or shared whiteboard, all GRE sessions are recorded as digital documents, so students can review lessons to reinforce concepts and approaches.
- Online tutoring requires nothing beyond a laptop, internet, and scratch paper (just like the GRE!), so computer-based tutoring builds good habits for test day such as writing down process of elimination outlines and taking good notes for reading comprehension rather than simply annotating the text on a physical ETS Official Guide book. ...
- ...and using a laptop with eBook materials eliminates the need to carry pounds of heavy books every time you want to study, which allows you to review content or even have a session anywhere you bring your laptop bag.
For these reasons and more, MyGuru online GRE tutoring isn't just comparable to face-to-face tutoring, it's often better. To read more about our perspective on online tutoring click here.
Customized GRE Tutoring from an Expert Tutor
We have a growing team of trained online experts, but much of our online GRE tutoring is delivered by a true GRE expert, MyGuru's Director of Online Tutoring, Stefan. His background includes:
- BA, University of Southern California
- MS, Northwestern University
- 13+ years of test-prep tutoring experience with large, nationally recognized test-prep firms (and now, MyGuru)
- Consistently achieves GRE scores of 167+ on both sections of the exam on the official GRE, unofficial 3rd party exams, and ETS PowerPrep exams
- Former GRE students have been admitted to top schools such as Yale and Northwestern
- Expert at all sections of the GRE, including the most current version of the exam
- Has his own proprietary study schedules, worksheets, and approach to delivering online GRE tutoring effectively
Stefan will assess your starting point and help you develop a customized study plan to help you reach your target score on the GRE as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Additional Resources to Help You Prepare for the GRE
To read about how our GRE tutors help people develop strategies for passing the GRE, click here. Check out our GRE blog for the latest student testimonials, GRE concept reviews and explanations, and advice on graduate school admissions. Example articles include: