Test Prep Tutoring
MyGuru has the best tutors in Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis, and New York – as measured by their advanced academic degrees from elite universities, test scores, years of experience, and student feedback.
At MyGuru we combine official materials with expert tutors, official practice tests, and online practice to create a customized tutoring solution. This “back to basics” approach allows us to offer customized, 1-on-1 support at below what other companies charge for group instruction. It also puts the emphasis on real skills development, rather than following a dogmatic approach that may not work for an individual student.
MyGuru’s core beliefs that govern its approach to providing superior test prep:
- The creators and administrators of standardized tests all provide excellent self-study test prep materials
- Group classes are often simply providing an expensive form of structure, without allowing a student to focus on specific areas in which he or she is weak
- The large test prep firms have made 1-1 test prep virtually unaffordable – they make so much money on group-based test prep, where 20 students have each paid $1,000 to sit in a classroom each week, that they charge through the roof for 1-1 help, almost to encourage students to choose a class-based test prep first
- Combining self-study materials, both paper-based and online, with an expert tutor provides a significant testing advantage
When you compare the cost of our tutors to the large test prep companies, the difference is striking (e.g., $2,500+ vs. less than $1,000 for 15 hours). What’s more, we believe our tutor screening process results in a higher quality instructor and a better learning experience.
Your Tutor — Asks the Right Questions
Whether you choose to prep for your exam in-person or online, each MyGuru tutor is equipped to immediately identify and address every student's specific needs. This means that instruction is focused on relevant content areas to quickly maximize improvement. Your tutor will begin by reaching out via email within 24-hours of being assigned to determine your:
- Previous prep
- Prior scores (official and/or unofficial)
- Familiarity with the exam content
- Time available each week for study
- Schedule for taking the official exam
- Relevant strengths and weaknesses
- Target schools and score goals
Our instructors also understand that excelling at standardized exams is a developed skill, and not a matter of rote memorization. In the initial session, and in every subsequent lesson, your instructor will model exactly how to approach the problems so that you know the methodology for every question you'll see on test day.
For more information on MyGuru's curriculum and study plans, see specific exam pages below: