Private TOEFL Tutors
TOEFL tutoring from MyGuru is a customized experience featuring 1-1 instruction from an expert TOEFL tutor. We offer in-person TOEFL tutoring in a local library or coffee shop near you or in your home, as well as online TOEFL tutoring. Students are asked to purchase The Official Guide to the TOEFL Test, 4th Edition prior to their first session and complete a series of official TOEFL practice questions before the first session to help identify strengths and weaknesses.
About the TOEFL iBT
As you probably know, the TOEFL iBT is given in English. It tests four skills, reading, writing, listening, and speaking, often by making you perform tasks that combine multiple skills, such as reading, listening, and then speaking in response to a question.
The TOEFL takes about 4.5 hours. It has a 60-80 minute reading section, a 60-90 minute listening section, a 20 minute speaking section and a 50 minute writing section. You can learn more at ETS’ official TOEFL web-site.
Our Approach to TOEFL Tutoring
The first session is diagnostic in nature. It involves a review of the student’s performance on TOEFL practice questions, a discussion of each section of the test, and development of a customized study plan. This is followed by a series of ~1.5 hour tutoring sessions in which concepts are reviewed, strategies for each section of the test are discussed and practice problems are completed. Our most popular package provides a total of 15 hours of customized, 1-on-1 TOEFL tutoring, including the review of practice tests to measure and track progress. However, a customized study plan can be built around 5, 10, 15, 25 or 35 hours. The exact number of ideal hours of tutoring for any given student is highly variable.
Of course, MyGuru also offers hourly TOEFL tutoring – just fill out the form below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your situation.
Customized 1-1 Expert Instruction
Our TOEFL tutoring is delivered by an expert with multiple years of TOEFL tutoring experience, covering both the verbal and written portions of the exam. Here is some background on one of our expert TOEFL tutors:
- A. in English
- Master’s in Library Science
- Extensive TOEFL teaching/tutoring experience, including Spanish and Polish speaking TOEFL students
- Supports students struggling with the speaking portion of the TOEFL exam with targeted accent reduction and English pronunciation
- Taught foreign born MBA students at Lake Forest Academy in English grammar and writing
If you prefer to invest in TOEFL tutoring by the hour, we charge $75, with 5, 10, or 15% discounts for investing in 5, 10, or 15 hours in advance – that’s $63.75 ($75 * 85% = $63.75) for a long term tutoring relationship of 15+ hours.
Our 15 hour package costs $956.25. This includes:
- An official test prep book written by the creators of the TOEFL iBT – The Official Guide to the TOEFL Test, 4th Edition
- 15 hours of customized, 1-on-1 instruction from an expert MyGuru TOEFL tutor
- A 10% discount of any future or “last minute” 1-1 TOEFL tutoring beyond the 15 hour
- Los Angeles
- New York
- San Diego
- SF Bay Area