Mike Zilis, Senior ACT, SAT, GRE, and GMAT Tutor
Mike Zilis is one of MyGuru’s most experienced tutors. His academic, tutoring, and teaching background includes:
- Double majored in Political Science (B.A.) and History (B.A.) at Miami of Ohio University
- PhD in Political Science from the University of Michigan
- 99th percentile ACT, SAT, and GRE scores
- More than five years of experience tutoring for the ACT, SAT, and GRE, as well as mathematics classes through calculus II and various history, political science, and English courses
- Currently an Adjunct Professor of Political Science at DePaul University in Chicago
Mike has been associated with the company almost since its founding in 2009, while he initially begin working with MyGuru as a GRE tutor in Chicago, he quickly expanded to the ACT, SAT, and many other subject areas.
In addition to tutoring, Mike was a guest on MyGuru’s podcast, where he discussed the importance of developing a customized study plan when preparing for standardized tests. Mike is also a co-author on MyGuru’s new eBook, Plan, Prepare, Perform, which describes how to shift your mindset, develop a customized study plan, and adopt specific study techniques which have been scientifically proven to enhance learning.
Mike’s tutoring approach pays particular attention to a student’s stress, and conversely, confidence level. He recognizes that many students, particularly when it comes to preparing for tests like the ACT, SAT, and GRE, reach a point where they know most of the required information and understand the key concepts, but need to find ways to calm down, focus, and attack more difficult questions creatively and with confidence to really begin to improve their performance. This is a key element of Mike’s approach to tutoring.
Click here to read a case study covering the approach Mike took with one particular GRE student.